The Red Clay Consolidated School District’s mathematics program is based upon the philosophy that all students can learn mathematics at high levels.
A rigorous pathway of college and career readiness standards requires mathematically proficient students to gain a deep understanding of the mathematics and apply their understanding to real-world situations. These standards can be found by clicking the following link: http://goo.gl/8u2CNz.
Mathematically proficient students engage in the following eight practices:
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with Mathematics.
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
In kindergarten through fifth grade mathematics, students will develop a solid foundation in whole numbers, fractions, decimals and operations using the Math Expressions curricular materials.
Building upon this foundation, students in subsequent grades will apply this knowledge to increasingly more abstract mathematical concepts ensuring every student graduates college and career ready.
Additional resources are available through the Delaware Department of Education and can be found by clicking following link: http://goo.gl/guhaHL.