AVID (Advancement via Individual Determination)
AVID Seniors have earned more than one million dollars in scholarship money and are off to some amazing colleges in the fall.
AVID stands for 'Advancement via Individual Determination.' AVID is a comprehensive program that assists underrepresented students in applying to, and prepares them for, the rigors of four-year colleges and is available to 9th through 12th graders at McKean. Students in AVID live by the WICOR strategies; WICOR stands for Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization, and Reading. Students are assisted in their high-level classes through tutorials, given help with organization by keeping a binder, and supported in their time management. Additionally, the program provides opportunities for personal growth through guest speakers, college field trips, tutoring, and community service, all of which contribute to building a competitive college application. AVID graduates enroll in college at higher rates than the national average and persist into year 2 of college at higher rates. In 2016, 88% of AVID seniors applied to and were accepted to a four-year college. Why is this important? According to a study completed by the Economic Policy Institute, college graduates annually earned 56% more than someone with only a high school diploma.
What Am I Studying?
AVID students must:
- attend an AVID elective class
- enroll in one or more advanced academic class (Pre-AP or AP) each semester
- maintain satisfactory citizenship and attendance in all classes
- maintain the AVID binder with assignment/grade record sheets and daily notes in all classes
- complete all homework assignments and commit to studying every night
How am I involved?
- Extracurricular activities
- Community Service
Where will it take me?
- Students enrolled in the AVID elective are expected to apply to several four-year colleges.
- Students are given 1:1 assistance through the college application process including the FAFSA and other financial aid documents, essay composition, and meeting deadlines.
In the past 2 years that AVID has been implemented at
Thomas McKean High School
our AVID seniors have been accepted to the following schools:
The University of Delaware Delaware State University Wilmington University
Georgia Southern University University of Cincinnati Ithaca College
Hofstra University Washington College Temple University Drexel University
Clark Atlanta University The Ohio State University York College Wellesley College
University of Maine Goldey Beacom College Notre Dame University