Reading, Writing, and Mathematics are the core subjects taught in the Adult Basic Education courses. Students are assessed for proper placement and an individual program of study is established utilizing the latest technology for maximum achievement. Certificates of Attainment are granted for each level of completion.
In the state of Delaware, the GED is recognized as a secondary credential but not a high school diploma. In order to better reflect the educational rigor needed in today’s society, the GED was updated in 2014. The new GED exam is aligned with the Common Core standards and is delivered online. Students who wish to prepare for his/her GED may attend any adult education center’s orientation for assessment. Students will take an entry assessment and may be placed into a refresher course before working on GED curriculum. Once in the GED preparation class, students will work on the necessary skills needed to complete the 4 different exams in order to obtain a GED credential. Additionally, part of the GED preparation transcends academics. In order for the student to be able to complete the test online, s/he must have the necessary computer and keyboarding skills to do so. These skills may also be learned as part of the GED preparation.
The following are the 4 subjects tested on the GED:
- Reasoning Through Language Arts
- Social Studies
The test is made up of the following types of questions:
- Multiple Choice
- Drag and Drop
- Hot Spot (select an area)
- Short Answer
- Fill in the blank
- Extended respone
Registering for the GED and Locating a Testing Center:
- In order to take the GED test, the student must go to GED.com and create an account. From there, the student registers for the test(s) s/he wishes to take.
- There are six testing centers in the state of DE:
- Red Clay Adult Education 1621 Telegraph Road, Wilmington, Delaware 19804
- Appoquinimink Adult Education 120 Silver Lake Rd Middletown, DE 19709
- Delaware State University 1200 North DuPont Hwy Thomasson Building, Office 202 Dover, DE 19901
- Delaware Skills Center 1300 Clifford Brown Walk, Wilmington, Delaware 19801
- Polytech Adult Education 823 Walnut Shade Rd, PO Box 102 Woodside, DE 19980
- New Castle County Learning Center 1301 Drummond Plaza Newark, DE 19711
Upon Completion of the GED certificate:
- To receive a copy of your GED certificate, all students must register at diplomasender.com