Conrad High School opened its doors in 1936, housed as many as 1500 high school students per year in the 1960s, and closed in 1978 as part of a federal desegregation order. For 29 years, it served as a middle school in the Red Clay Consolidated School District. In 2007, the school reconstituted as Conrad Schools of Science, a 6th through 12th grade life science magnet school in the district. After reopening with 150 students, the school now operates at capacity, 1190 students, and receives more than 1500 applications annually. The school screens applicants for minimum interest in the “magnet” and then admits students based on a lottery.